This photo was purchased from eBay and is a mailed postcard. The front shows Winfield High School. The back has a message written from Demerica Kuykendall in Winfield addressed to Emma Henzie of Philadelphia. It was postmarked on May 27, 1942.
Winfield High School opened its doors on July 1, 1889. The first principal was C.D. Garrett, an 1889 graduate of the Florence Normal College. He became a notary public and justice of the peace in Winfield in 1890. Garrett was there for one year before moving to Moulton for one year, then to Alexander City and was there in 1893.
The building shown here was constructed in 1925 according to research and was used until the late 1980s for the high school. It was located where the current parking lot for Winfield Middle School is.
A three story elementary school was finished in 1917. There was a cornerstone laying ceremony on Dec. 16, 1916, and the building was occupied on Sept. 3, 1917. This building burned on Jan. 8, 1951.
Winfield schools broke away from the county school system and created a city school system effective July 1, 1955.
See complete story in the Journal Record.