Back Through the Years in Marion County
Marion County High School opened on Sept. 11, 1912, in the same place it is currently located, although the school is located in its second building currently.
Shown here, courtesy of Marion County School Board Member Don Jones, is the first building, constructed in 1912, after renovations. The photo was taken about 1970. This first building burned on June 24, 1971.
Even though other towns in the county sought the county high school, Guin won the bid. The cornerstone to the first school building was placed in a ceremony on June 5, 1912.
Research indicates this is the starting lineup for the 1947 Hamilton High School Aggies football squad. The photo was submitted by Barbara Webb.
This picture was reproduced in a book with the names being out of order and one missing. Through research and comparing the players in this photo to other photos, we have found what we believe to be the correct order of the names.
Nathan Andrew Musgrove was born July 18, 1839 in Fayette County. He died June 6, 1921, and is buried at Winfield City Cemetery. He married Harriet Susannah Smith, who was born on June 1, 1846 in Tippah County, Miss. She died on Oct. 25, 1921, months after Nathan did. She was the daughter of James and Loucinda Smith.
This photo was submitted by Gary Randolph, and those identified in the photo are, back row from left, Sudi Musgrove, Ella Paralee Musgrove, Nathan Musgrove and Harriet Musgrove. Front row from left are a Mrs. Smith (most likely Loucinda) and Clara Musgrove.
Decorations are in place in this photo of the Brilliant Coal Mine’s company store. The most likely occasion for this would be during Christmas time. The photo was taken in 1930, and is courtesy of L.A. Doss originally, who loaned it to the Northwest Alabamian, which published this photo on Jan. 18, 1970.
This photo was purchased from eBay and is a mailed postcard. The front shows Winfield High School. The back has a message written from Demerica Kuykendall in Winfield addressed to Emma Henzie of Philadelphia. It was postmarked on May 27, 1942.
Winfield High School opened its doors on July 1, 1889. The first principal was C.D. Garrett, an 1889 graduate of the Florence Normal College. He became a notary public and justice of the peace in Winfield in 1890. Garrett was there for one year before moving to Moulton for one year, then to Alexander City and was there in 1893.
Courtesy of Bill Weaver, this photo shows workers during the construction of Lion Service Station in Hamilton. Left to right are Hubert Ballard, Clint Hardin, Marvin Ballard, Sanders Williams, Henry Bobo, Earl Martin and Elton Sudduth.
This building was located on the corner where the Hamilton United Methodist Church parking lot is presently located. It consisted of a barber shop, cafe and the Lion Service Station itself.
Weaver stated the store most likely opened in the early 1920s. Sandy Sandlin mentioned the store most likely closed in the early 1970s.