HAMILTON - Phillips High School’s principal, Keith Smith, has been hired as the Marion County High School principal.
The Marion County Board of Education voted unanimously to accept Smith’s voluntary transfer from the Bear Creek high school to the high school in Guin during the board’s Thursday, Dec. 13, meeting.
Smith will be officially assuming his role at Marion County High School on Jan. 3. He is filling the spot left vacant by Jason Bourland, who recently accepted the job as supervisor for Marion County Schools.
“We’re proud to have Keith Smith and hope to work with him going forward,” said Marion County Board of Education District 4 member “Coach” Don Jones.
The board also empowered Marion County Superintendent of Education Ann West to post and place the Phillips High School principal position.
West said that her goal is to fill the position before the beginning of the spring semester.
In other business, the board:
• Accepted the resignation of Hamilton High School Instructional Aid and Facilitator Gena Holloway, which will be effective Monday, Dec. 31.
West said that Holloway had accepted a position at the Marion County district Attorney’s Office.
• Hired Katelyn Landers as a teacher at Phillips High School. She will begin on Thursday, Jan. 3.
• Hired Brenda Self as a janitor at Phillips Elementary School. She began working on Sunday, Dec. 16.
• Accepted the voluntary transfers of Guin lunchroom worker Teresa Barnes and Hackleburg lunchroom worker Susan Wallace, who will both be moving from six-hour positions to seven-hour positions.
• Accepted a leave of absence for Hamilton High School instructional aid Brenda Warren, who requested catastrophic sick leave for approximately six weeks due to a serious health problem.
See complete story in the Journal Record.