SULLIGENT - The Lamar County Genealogical and Historical Society is hosting a tour of historical houses in Lamar County on Saturday, Dec. 8, from 1 -3 p.m.
One of the houses featured in the tour is the Hamilton House located in Detroit.
Tax records in the Lamar County Courthouse indicate the house was built in 1844 by John Hamilton, the father of Captain A. J. Hamilton. A. J. Hamilton is the namesake for the City of Hamilton, who gave the land upon which the City of Hamilton was built.
The house in Detroit was originally a four room, two-story log house with a hall in the center. Kent and Nancy Napper purchased the house in 2015.
Other houses on the tour include:
• The Clearman House in the Wofford Community Near Vernon.
The Clearman House, owned by Jerry and Elizabeth Mays, is listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage. Tax records in the Lamar County Courthouse indicate the house was built in 1865.
• The Moore-Hill House in the Old Moscow Community near Sulligent.
The Moore-Hill House, also known as the Old Stagecoach Inn, is located on the Jackson Military Road near Sulligent in Old Moscow.
This house was built for James Moore and was finished circa 1834. Jesse Little Taylor, a carpenter, who later became a doctor, worked on the house. James Moore was a veteran of Andrew Jackson’s army. This house was owned by the Hill Family for 114 years (1881). Mrs. Darnell Hill sold the house in 1995 to Lt. Col. and Mrs. Dean Wilson.
Participants in the tour must register in Sulligent at the Front Street Pavilion (next to the railroad)from 12:30 - 1:00 p.m. in order to obtain house passes and directions.
See complete story in the Journal Record.