Red Raiders tame Stallions 38-13 Friday

Marion County’s Landon Morrow (#6) stretches out as he’s being tackled to try to gain a few more yards.

By Luke Brantley
Staff writer
GUIN —  The Marion County Red Raiders defeated the South Lamar High School Stallions 38-13 on Friday, Oct. 14.
The Raiders scored twice in the first quarter. The first touchdown came from a successful pass to Landon Morrow with 3:18 remaining in the first quarter.
The Stallions started at their own 26, but the drive ended with a punt back to the Raiders. On first down, Atkins ran from the Raiders’ 25 up to the 49. Marion County quarterback Joe Aldridge threw a pass to Dee Lipsey as the buzzer sounded for the second Raider touchdown. The 2-point attempt failed, but the Raiders ended the quarter with a 12-0 lead over the Stallions.
The Stallions answered with a touchdown of their own early in the second quarter. After returning the kickoff to their own 25, South Lamar’s Charles Neal broke away on a 75 yard run to put the Stallions on the scoreboard.
Marion County’s Dalyce Floyd intercepted the pass on the 2-point attempt, keeping the Stallions six points behind at 12-6.
The Raiders’ next drive came to an end on fourth down after what the Marion County sideline and fans complained was a missed pass interference call that resulted in the incomplete pass, and the Stallions took over on downs.
The Raiders held the Stallions at bay, and the Raiders got the ball back starting on their own 45 after the punt.
On first down, Marion County’s Cade Atkins ran for another Raider touchdown with 6:10 left to go in the half. After an ineligible receiver penalty cut short the 2-point attempt, the Raiders were leading 18-6.
The closing minute of the half was chaotic, beginning with an interception by Floyd. But the Raiders’ first pass was intercepted by the Stallions.
The Raiders ended up taking over on downs, but with only a few seconds left on the clock, not much could have been done before the buzzer sounded for halftime.
The Raiders kicked off to open the second half and started to charge down the field from their own 46.
The Stallions ended up on the Raiders’ 10 yard line. The Raiders held the line on first and second down, but on third and goal, Neal slipped into the end zone for the

Stallions’ final touchdown of the night. The extra point kick was good, and the Stallions seemed to be closing in 18-13.
Lipsey returned the kickoff to the Stallions’ 41 yard line. A holding penalty took them back to their own 49 on first down. Now on first and 20, Morrow caught another pass and scored once more, which counted despite flags on the play for unsportsmanlike conduct.
Atkins made it in for two more points, and the Raiders were leading 26-13 with 6:01 left in the third quarter.
The rest of the third quarter passed without any more scoring.
Marion County had the ball when the fourth quarter began, with Atkins gaining good yards on first down. A flag was thrown on the play against the Raiders, but the call drew more frustration from the Marion County sideline and stands over what they said was a missed horse collar penalty by the Stallions.  
After the complaints, Atkins scored on another run. The extra point was no good, but the touchdown increased the Raiders’ lead to 32-13 with 11:33 to go in the ball game.
The Stallions’ next drive almost ended when the Stallions went for it on fourth down, but the runner was dragged backwards on the tackle.
However, when the chains were brought out for measurement, the Stallions got the first down, drawing more protest from the Raiders’ stands.
On second down, Marion County’s Zach Lamereaux intercepted a pass and ran it all the way to the end zone, but a flag on the play brought the Raiders back to the Stallions’ 40 yard line without the points.
The Raiders gained several yards from penalties against the Stallions, including a facemask and a horse collar.
The Raiders advanced to within the 10 yard line. On second and one, Atkins ran, but was stopped just short of the goal line.
Now on third and inches, Marion County’s Brooks Junkin smashed his way through the defensive line and into the end zone for the Raiders’ final touchdown on the night.
The kick was blocked, but the Raiders held a solid 38-13 lead with just over five minutes left in the game.
The Raiders didn’t allow any more points from the Stallions, and the game ended with a victory for Marion County.
Aldridge completed 11 out of 17 passes for 170 yards and three touchdowns.
Atkins ran for 222 yards and two touchdowns over 17 runs.
Morrow caught five passes for 76 yards and two touchdowns. Lipsey recorded 66 receiving yards for one touchdown.
Tye Madison caught three passes for 20 yards, and Gavin Cole caught one pass for eight yards.
The Raiders, now 6-2, travel to Hubbertville this Friday night to take on the Lions at 7 p.m.



See complete story in the Journal Record.
Subscribe now!